Thursday 22 February 2018

LEAP

A year ago I took a life changing decision to relocate to a different city and province. It was a scary experience, having grown up and lived in one town all my life I had no idea what I was doing or even if I was making the right decision. The hardest part of the entire process was leaving my child behind and wondering whether we would both cope with being away from each other. All I knew was that life often calls on us to make a leap despite the fear and the thoughts that aim to hold us back. I had to trust that I would develop the courage needed along the way if only I was brave enough to trust what lay before me and not what was familiar to me.

A few times in this process, I have wanted to pack my bags and head back home because I was wrestling with myself regarding the decision that I made and because sometimes life gives us what we ask for but not in a packaging that we recognise so we miss that our prayers have been answered because the response doesn't match up to the image that we had conceived in our heads. It was a constant battle.

However it was also in my time of doubt that I learned that God always speaks to us and gives us signs if we seek Him in our moment of doubts. Everytime that I got ready to hand in that letter of resignation, someone would come with a word totally oblivious to the thoughts that raced in my head but what they said would be the assurance that I was looking for. And it was in those moments that I learned that God had orchestrated this move and I was called to bloom where I was planted.



There were countless tears shed and just as many laughs that came. In a few months I was promoted to Senior Social Worker, heading a Department that just months prior I knew nothing about. Again I saw the hand of God upon my life and I learned again that when you function within your purpose, He opens doors for you that you didn't even knock on.

I am gaining invaluable experience in this journey and I have become a better person and professional because I was offered opportunities to grow and surrounded by people who believed in me as a professional despite my shortcomings. This process has also caused me to honestly reflect on myself and to become more aware of character flaws that I need to work on in order to make this a success and to also become an overall better person. I fail dismally at times but I am thankful for those around me who are patient with me and who daily allow me the space to grow, evolve and make the necessary changes.

I could have denied myself the beauty of all that I have seen around me if I had let fear and emotions control my decisions. You see sometimes you don't need to know all the answers, you just need to be prepared to take that famous leap of faith and trust that it will all work out as it should.

I reckon that we often need to discard our thoughts of how it's supposed to be and make it work with the cards that we are dealt with. And often the only thing standing between you and realising your dreams is the need to be in control and figure it out. Your willingness to step out of the security of what is familiar could be the gateway to living your best life thus far.

Take the plunge. You have no idea what is waiting for you on the other side of fear. I know for certain that as difficult as it was a year ago to make this decision, it remains to this day the best thing I ever did for myself as an individual and a Social Worker.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts